Rare Early ANTIQUE Obsolete NEW BEDFORD MASSACHUSETTS Police Department BADGE
December 7, 2019
ANTIQUE NEW BEDFORD POLICE BADGE. RARE original early 2 metal antique badge from New Bedford, Massachusetts. Ignore glare from scanner. New Bedford is a city in Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 95,072 making it the sixth-largest city in Massachusetts. New Bedford is nicknamed “The Whaling City” because during the 19th century, the city was one of the most important whaling ports in the world, along with Nantucket, Massachusetts and New London, Connecticut.  The city, along with Fall River and Taunton, make up the three largest cities in the South Coast region of Massachusetts, and is known for its fishing fleet and accompanying seafood producing industries, as well as having a high concentration of Portuguese Americans. Before the 17th century, the Wampanoag, who had settlements throughout southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, were the only inhabitants of the lands along the Acushnet River. Their population is believed to have been about 12,000. While exploring New England, Bartholomew Gosnold landed on Cuttyhunk Island on May 15, 1602. From there, he explored Cape Cod and the neighboring areas, including the site of present-day New Bedford. Europeans first settled New Bedford in 1652. Whether the transfer of the land was legitimately done has been the subject of intense controversy. Like other native tribes, the Wampanoags did not share the settlers’ concepts of private property. The tribe may have believed they were granting usage rights to the land, not giving it up permanently. The settlers used the land to build the colonial town of Old Dartmouth (which encompassed not only present-day Dartmouth, but also present-day New Bedford, Acushnet, Fairhaven, and Westport). A section of Old Dartmouth near the west bank of the Acushnet River, originally called Bedford Village, was officially incorporated as the town of New Bedford on February 23, 1787 after the American Revolutionary War. The name was suggested by the Russell family, who were prominent citizens of the community. The Dukes of Bedford, a leading English aristocratic house, also bore the surname Russell. Bedford, Massachusetts had been incorporated in 1729; hence “New” Bedford. The late 18th century was a time of growth for the town. New Bedford’s first newspaper, The Medley (also known as New Bedford Marine Journal), was founded in 1792.  On June 12, 1792, the town set up its first post office. William Tobey was its first postmaster. The construction of a bridge (originally a toll bridge) between New Bedford and present-day Fairhaven in 1796 also spurred growth. Fairhaven separated from New Bedford in 1812, forming an independent town that included both present-day Fairhaven and present-day Acushnet. On March 18, 1847 the town of New Bedford officially became a city; Abraham Hathaway Howland was elected its first mayor. At approximately the same time, New Bedford began to supplant Nantucket as the nation’s preeminent whaling port, thanks to its deeper harbor and location on the mainland. Whaling dominated the economy of the city for much of the century. Many families of the city were involved with it as crew and officers of ships. Immigration Until 1800, New Bedford and its surrounding communities were, by and large, populated by Protestants of English, Scottish, Welsh, and Dutch origin. During the first half of the 19th century many Irish people came to Massachusetts. In 1818, Irish immigrants established the Catholic mission that built St. Later in that century, immigrants from Portugal and its dependent territories of the Azores, and Madeira began arriving in New Bedford and the surrounding area, attracted by jobs in the whaling industry; many had family members who had worked on whaling ships. As the Portuguese community began to increase, they established the first Portuguese parish in the city, St. John the Baptist (1871). French Canadians also secured a foothold in New Bedford at about the same time, and they built the Church of the Sacred Heart in 1877. Similarly, Polish immigrants began arriving in the late 19th century and established the parish of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in 1903. During the years leading up to the First World War, a sizable eastern-European Jewish community joined them in New Bedford. Some became prominent merchants and businessmen, mainly in textiles and manufacturing. Establishments In 1847, the New Bedford Horticultural Society was begun by James Arnold.  The Ash Street Jail, which houses inmates from Bristol County, is located in New Bedford. It opened in 1829 and is the oldest continuously operating jail in the United States.  Fort Taber and Fort Rodman (also called the “Fort at Clark’s Point”) were built during the American Civil War and are now in Fort Taber Park. Both forts are often called Fort Taber, including in some references.  Geography New Bedford is located at 41°3906N 70°5601W (41.651803, 70.933705).  According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 24.1 square miles (62.5 km2). Of the total area, 20.0 square miles (51.8 km2) is land, and 4.1 square miles (10.7 km2), or 17.13%, is water.  New Bedford is a coastal city, a seaport, bordered on the west by Dartmouth, on the north by Freetown, on the east by Acushnet and Fairhaven, and on the south by Buzzards Bay. From New Bedford’s northern border with Freetown to the Buzzards Bay coast at Clark’s Point the distance is approximately 14 miles (23 km). Across New Bedford east to west is a distance of about 2 miles (3.2 km). The highest point in the city is an unnamed hill crossed by Interstate 195 and Hathaway Road west of downtown, with an elevation greater than 180 feet (55 m) above sea level.  New Bedford Harbor, a body of water shared with Fairhaven, is actually the estuary of the Acushnet River where it empties into Buzzards Bay. The river empties into the bay beyond Clark’s Point, the southernmost point of the city. To the west of Clark’s Point is Clark’s Cove, which extends landward approximately one and a half mile from the bay. Just south of Palmer’s Island, beginning near Fort Phoenix in Fairhaven, lies a two-mile-long hurricane barrier, constructed in the 1960s to protect the inner harbor where the fishing fleet anchors. Along with Palmer’s Island, the city also lays claim to Fish Island and Pope’s Island. Between these two islands lies one of the three sections, the central section, of the New Bedford-Fairhaven Bridge. The central span, a swing bridge, connects the two islands as well as allowing boats and ships passage to the upper harbor. Two conventional bridges connect each of the islands to the nearest mainland, Fish Island to New Bedford and Pope’s Island to Fairhaven. In addition to the harbor, there are several small brooks and ponds within the city limits. Thank you for looking at our items! Chestnut Hill Books ships to every country in the world at reasonable rates as suggested by the United States Postal Service. Postcards are mailed between sturdy cardboard. We strive to describe each item completely and accurately. Should you have any question about the condition or representation of your item. Chestnut Hill Books is a family-owned antiques business based out of the SouthCoast, Massachusetts. We collect historical items related to New Bedford, Massachusetts and the surrounding area (Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Westport etc), Boston College (tickets, programs, pennants, postcards, scrapbooks, pinbacks, sports & non-sports etc), Massachusetts political buttons & memorabilia and Mount Monadnock in Jaffrey, New Hampshire. We normally respond to all inquiries in a timely manner. Thank you for looking at our listings! The item “Rare Early ANTIQUE Obsolete NEW BEDFORD MASSACHUSETTS Police Department BADGE” is in sale since Wednesday, December 4, 2019. This item is in the category “Collectibles\Historical Memorabilia\Police\Badges\ Obsolete\US”. The seller is “chestnuthillbooks” and is located in New Bedford, Massachusetts. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Type: Badge
- State: Massachusetts
- City: New Bedford